When downloading video files using the Blueye File Transfer application, or the Blueye Android App, you will also receive a subtitle file with dive data. When playing the video file in a player with support for external subtitle files the dive information will be displayed on top of the video.
However, if you wish to share the video file online or you wish to edit multiple video files together to a movie in a video editing software, you need to permanently overlay the subtitles on the video file before sharing it or importing it to your video editor.
VLC media player tutorial
1. Start VLC media plater. Select the Media menu and click the Stream... sub-menu.
2. Click the Add... button and select your MP4 video file. Make sure the SRT subtitle file exists in the same folder. Click the Stream button after selecting your video file.
3. In the Stream Output dialog, click the Next button to continue configuration of your video conversion task.
4. Next, we need to configure the destination. Select File in the dropdown and click the Add button to define your output file.
5. We recommend adding _metadata at the end of the original filename to indicate that this is a video file with dive telemetry overlayed. Click the Next button to continue.
6. Check the Activate Transcoding checkbox. Next, click the button with the wrench icon to configure the output format.
7. In the Encapsulation tab, select the MP4/MOV radio button.
8. Next, select the Video codec tab, ensure the Video checkbox is checked. The codec should be selected as H-264, and Bitrate and Quality should be left as Not Used, and Frame Rate should be set to Same as source.
9. Next, move to the Audio codec tab. As the video files from your Blueye drone does not include any audio, the Audio checkbox can be left unchecked.
10. Finally, in the Subtitles tab check the Subtitles checkbox, as well as the Overlay subtitles on the video checkbox. Click the Create button to save your transcoding configuration.
11. After clicking the Create button you are returned to the Transcoding Options step of the Stream Output wizard. Click Next to continue. You will be presented with a summary of the Generated stream output string. Click the Stream button to start the process of overlaying the dive telemetry subtitles on your video file.
12. After clicking the Stream button, the process of overlaying dive telemetry subtitles begin. The video will not be played back during this process, but the progress bar will indicate how much of the video is processed.
13. After completing the process you can exit VLC media player. On your computer, a new video file, with the name we selected as the output file earlier in the process, will have been created.
14. The new video file should have the dive telemetry information permanently overlayed on top of the video. This video file can now be imported to a video editing software or shared without having to send the subtitle file along with the original file.