The Gemini Micron is the successor to the Gemini 720im, with greatly improved image quality.
For general information about how the use of sonars can help improve ROV navigation and operation in low to zero visibility water we highly recommend reading our in-depth article.
The Gemini Micron is the smallest multibeam sonar out in the market. Its compact size and weight make it a perfect fit for the Blueye X3 when encountering low visibility conditions. Even in a better visibility situation, with a 50m range and 90° horizontal field of view, objects that were out of sight before become now visible. A perfect tool for enhancing navigation.
2. How to install
The Gemini Micron is compatible with all Guest Ports (GP1, GP2, GP3).
In the box
The Gemini Micron box comes with 4x top canister buoyancy, the Gemini sonar with strong mount attachment, 1x Cable with smart connector,1x Hex key, 1x strong mount + screws, 1x Tritech Gemini USB-pen and 1x plug.
- Power “off” the drone.
- Remove the battery cover.
- Unscrew the 3 screws that hold the side covers and open it.
- Remove the buoyancy so you can see the Guest Ports.
- Install the Blueye universal strong mount above the Guest Ports.
- Fasten the (yellow)Blind Plug-cable to the back of the Gemini multibeam
- Attach the Gemini multibeam to the universal strong mount on the ROV.
- Select any of the 3 guest-ports and connect the cable with the screw. (Check that the connector has o-rings and that they are clean and lubed.)
- Put the buoyancy back on.
- Add the extra front cannister buoyancy.
- Close the side covers. Make sure the cable is routed out through the top mount-slot before popping the side covers back on.
- Put the battery cover back on.
We are working on furher tutorials on how to install Ping360 Sonar on the Blueye X3, should you have need for this now, please contact email@example.com for more information.
3. How to use
Using the Gemini Micron with a Blueye X3 is very simple. The only requirements are:
- Have a computer connected to the Surface Unit Wi-Fi.
- Download the latest Genesis software from Tritech.
Once connected to the Wi-Fi and launching the program, click on the top left icon as shown in the picture to turn on the multibeam (it will turn from white to green).
The following videos are demonstrations of the 720im attached to a Blueye X3 drone.
For more information check the Genesis software quick start guide