One of the available peripherals for the new X3 underwater drone is the Blueye External Lights. The lights add 3000-lumen intensity to the drone. You can add up to two external lights to one X3. If you have two lights connected to the drone, they will operate in tandem.
The Blueye External Light Pair
The Blueye Lights Pair shares one smart connector and works as if you have to separate external lights. They work in tandem, and unless you adjust the settings in the dive menu, they will, by default, follow the intensity of the main light. The Blueye Lights Pair is compatible with all three guest ports.
2. How to install
The Blueye External Light and Light Pair are both compatible with all Guest Ports (GP1, GP2, GP3).
2.1 In the box
The content of the external light box depends on the number of lights/cameras you have. If you have two external lights, one light + one camera, or the light pair, the equipment box will contain these items:
- 2x extra o-rings
- 1x universal strong mount
- 2x universal strong mount screws(M3x12mm)
- 1x Hex4 key
- 2x ball-mounts
- 1x T-mount
- 2x light/camera mount
- 4x mount screws(M4x20mm)
- 2x silicone bands
2.2 Top mount
The video tutorial below shows how to install one external light and one external camera on top of the ROV. The same steps apply if you are only installing one or two external lights on top.
- Power OFF the ROV and take out the battery.
- Unscrew the 3 screws and remove both side-covers.
- Take out the buoyancy on both sides.
- Install the Blueye universal strong mount (included in the kit) above the Guest Ports.
- Use the Hex3 key to fasten the M3 screws.
- If you are installing one light: Take the Ball-mount adapter and attach it to the universal strong-mount.
- Use the Hex4 key to fasten the M4 screws.
- If you are installing more than one light: Take the T-mount adapter and attach it to the universal mount. Use the Hex4 key to fasten the M4 screws.
- Attach the Light/Camera mount to the T-mount or the Ball-mount (depending on which you are using).
- Use the Hex4 key to fasten the M4 screws.
- Take the silicone band(s) and attach them on to the Light mount. There is a hook/edge on the underside of the mount, where you can pop the silicon band in to.
- Take your Blueye External Light and place it in the Light mount you just installed, and use the silicone bands to enclose the light(s) to the mount.
- Remove the Blind Plug from the guest port you want to use for your light(s)
- Connect the External Light's Smart Connector to the guest port and tighten the screw.
- Check that the connector has o-rings and that they are clean and lubed.
- Do not tighten the screw too much - try to get it "finger-tight". A tip is to hold the short end of the Hex key, so you don't use as much force while tightening.
- Put the right side buoyancy and side cover back on.
- Put the left side buoyancy on, and route the external light cable, so it all fits inside the drone.
- Put the left side cover back on, while making sure the cable is routed out through the top mount slot before popping the cover back on.
- Remove ballast weight(s) to compensate for the extra weight of the equipment. When using two external lights, or light+camera you need to remove two ballast weights. Use the pin spanner to push them out of the sloth on the bottom of the drone.
- Insert the battery and put the battery cover back on - And you are ready to dive!
Always check that the drone floats before diving! Seawater and freshwater have different densities, and the ballast weights are provided to compensate for the difference. If you are diving with multiple external equipment, you may need to add the additional top canister buoyancy.
3. How to use
You control the external light the same way you operate the main light of the drone:
- Press the (Y)-button on the controller or the light bulb icon in the touch interface to turn the light on
- Adjust intensity with the (DL) Left and (DR) Right buttons on the controller or by dragging the right slider in the touch interface
By default, the external light will follow the intensity of the main light. You can adjust the relative intensity between the two lights in the new External Light settings page in the in-diving menu.
You can choose if the external light should be brighter or dimmer than the main light, and when adjusting the lights, the app will display the intensity for each of the two light sources.
If you have two Blueye External Lights connected to the drone, they will operate in tandem.
The Blunux operating system will limit the intensity to 10% when operating at the surface as a safety measure to avoid high temperatures. The Blueye External Lights also have built-in safety measures with automatic shutoff if the temperature gets too high.