Follow these steps to replace the surge thruster of Blueye underwater drones
1. Remove the two M4x8mm Hex head screws in the back of the surge thruster arms using an M3 Hex key.
2. Use a flat head screwdriver to disengage the right side thruster arm snap lock, while pulling the arm slightly backward (1-2cm). Then repeat on the left side arm snap lock.
3. When both snap locks are disengaged, pull the surge thruster arm backward until they are completely free from the vertical thruster tube. The thruster cables should still be attached.
4. Remove the four M3X30mm Hex head screws holding the surge thruster grids by using an M2.5 hex key.
5. Pull the thruster grids out. You may have to feed the thruster cable a bit to fully disassemble the grid.
6. Remove the thruster by pulling it free from the grid.
7. Remove the two M4x8mm hex head screws on the thruster connector using an M3 Hex key.
8. Pull the thruster connector out by gripping the connector body, not the cable. Some force may be required to remove it.
9. Remove the thruster cable completely from the drone. The connector must be fed through the small opening in the arm.
10. Clean the opening in the aluminium body with a clean workshop tissue or a clean piece of cloth.
11. Add o-rings to the new thruster connector. Your workspace should be tidy and free of dust.
12. Make sure that the correct propeller is installed on the thruster. If not, remove the two M3x5mm screws using an M2 hex key and install the correct propeller. Reinstall the screws and hand tighten firmly.
13. Apply a small amount of grease to your fingertip or the o-ring.
14. Distribute the grease on the o-ring
15. Install the o-ring into the glands on the connector.
16. Push the connector through the thruster arm until it is reachable from the other end.
17. Install the thruster stands into the notches in the grid. The orientation of the thruster is not important.
18. Reinstall the grid into the thruster arm. The screw holes should be aligned with the screw towers inside the thruster arms.
19. Reinstall the four M3x35mm hex head screws in the thruster grid using an M2.5 hex key.
20. Note the small feature on the connector body. This feature should be pointing down when reinstalling the connector. Align the pins and receptacles before pushing the connector in place.
21. Push the connector all the way into the aluminium body
22. Reinstall the two M4x8mm hex head screws to screw the thruster connector. Tighten lightly by hand. The seal is not dependent on the torque of the screws.
23. Reinstall the thruster arms onto the vertical thruster tunnel. The right and left snap lock must be guided in place. The thruster cables on both sides should be guided according to the picture below
24. Make sure the thruster cables on both sides are inside of the snap arm.
25. Push the thruster arms forward until properly seated and snap hooks are fully engaged.
26. Reinstall the two M4x8mm Hex head screws in the back of the surge thruster arms using an M3 Hex key.
Surge thruster replacement procedure is completed.