|Warning: Do not calibrate your compass where there is a chance of strong magnetic interference, such as magnetite, large steel structures or steel reinforcements underground.
It’s recommended to calibrate the compass in any of the following situations:
- Before the first dive after receiving your drone
- Diving at a new location after traveling with your drone
- When the Blueye app warns you that the compass needs calibration
Follow these steps to calibrate your drone:
1: Start and connect to your Blueye underwater drone
Follow the normal procedure:
- Turn on the drone and the Surface Unit.
- Set your device in flight mode
- Turn on Wi-Fi, search for the Surface Unit and connect to it.
- Once you are connected to the surface unit you can start the Blueye app.
Step 2: Open drone settings
From the home screen, enter the settings menu and select "Drone Settings". Then select "Compass Calibration". See video:
Step 3: Pick up the drone and hold it in a normal position
Hold the drone in a normal position and turn around 360°. Flip the drone upside down and turn back around 360°.
Step 4: Hold the drone on its side
Hold the drone lying on its side and turn around 360°. Flip the drone so that it is lying on its other side and turn back around 360°.
Step 5: Hold the drone with the camera pointing up
Hold the drone with the camera pointing up and turn around 360°. Flip the drone so that the camera is pointing down and turn back around 360°.
Step 6: Place the drone on a horizontal surface
Place the drone on a horizontal surface and tap “Finish calibration” in the Blueye App. Leave the drone for a while for the drone to finish the calibration. The calibration is done when the thruster has been activated for a short period.
Step 7: 'Finish calibration' button will appear when all the calibration movements are completed.
How to: Check if the compass needs calibration
Check if the drone compass needs calibration
- Are you diving at a location further than 10 km away from your last location?
- Has the drone not been in use for over a month?
- Do you see a compass interference warning in the Blueye App? Does this warning persist even after changing location?
If you can check "Yes" to one or more of these above questions, calibrate your drone's compass.